School uniforms help to create the Catholic identity of St. John’s School. Uniforms also help the children understand that the focus of our school is Christian behavior and academic achievement. If you are unsure whether or not clothing is appropriate, please review the following policy then check with the administration and office. The administration reserves the right to make discretionary judgments regarding the appropriateness of the student dress.
All staff will be responsible for enforcing this policy.
- All clothing should be neat and clean, all students should be neatly groomed.
- Excessive make-up, tattoos (real or fake), or visible writing on the body or body piercing is not permitted.
- ‘Neutral’ refers to any solid black, white, navy, or gray clothing items.
- Clothing that is offensive, immoral or otherwise inappropriate in a Catholic school environment, is NOT acceptable at any time on school grounds.
- Uniform shirts must be tucked so that the waistband can be seen at all times, banded shirts are the only exception.
- Clothes must fit modestly (not too tight or too baggy)
Consequences for Dress Code Violations
- First and second violations will result in a verbal warning to the student and parent email. Jr. High students will receive an infraction.
- Third violation will result in being sent to the office to call a parent who will need to bring appropriate clothing.
Specific Clothing Requirements
- Pants and shorts must be purchased from the Uniform Store ONLY. See above.
- All pants and shorts should be worn at the waist.
- Shorts may be worn from August through October 31st and April 1st through May for grades K through 5. Girls may not wear shorts with leggings during this time.
- Junior High (grades 6-8) only will have the privilege of wearing shorts throughout the school year.
- Shorts length MUST be no longer than the bottom of the knee and no shorter than 3 inches above the knee.
- Polo shirts must be purchased from the Uniform Store ONLY.
- Neutral (see above) long- or short-sleeved t-shirts may be worn under the uniform shirt with no visible writing or embellishments.
- St John’s sweatshirts ONLY (available for order through the HSA) may be worn.
- Girls may wear solid neutral (see above) cardigan sweaters WITHOUT hoods.
- Uniform shirts are required under sweatshirts and sweaters.
- No Hooded Sweatshirts may be worn inside the building at any time.
Skirts/Jumpers/Skorts (Girls only)
- All skirts, skorts, and jumpers are to be purchased through the Uniform Store ONLY.
- Plaid jumpers may be worn by grades K through 5.
- Skirts may be worn in grades 5 through 8.
- All should be no shorter than 3 inches above the knee.
Shoes and Socks
- Shoes and socks must be worn and should have backs (no clogs, jellies, wedges, sandals, flip flops, etc.). This is for your child’s safety and participation in PE and recess.
- Students should wear well-fitting tennis shoes on PE days. Please consult homeroom teacher for schedule.
- Socks should neutral (see above), all one color with no patterns/designs. o Girls may wear neutral (see above) tights or leggings under their uniform. No embellishments or designs are allowed. Jean leggings (jeggings) are not allowed.
- Belts may be black or brown with no embellishments. The entire belt must be tucked in the loops of the pant or short.
- No baseball caps (indoors or outdoors), du rags or bandanas. Headbands (and thinly rolled bandanas) for girls can be worn but cannot become a distraction.
- Hair on boys should not reach below the collar or the sides or extend below the middle of the ear and top of the eyebrows.
- Girls may wear barrettes, ponytails, and headbands. No elaborate embellishments or decorations that hang down from the hair. All these items must remain on the student at all times. If it becomes a distraction in class, it will be confiscated. Styles should not inhibit learning (for example bangs that hang in the eyes so that the child cannot see or work at desk).
- Extremes in hair color are not allowed. Only natural hair color is allowed. No mohawks, flops, or notched artwork.
- Judgment on any extreme or faddish hairstyles are at the discretion of the administration.
- No earrings allowed for boys.
- Girls may wear post earrings only. No earrings that dangle below the lobe are allowed. No other body piercing is allowed. o Students may wear one watch; NO bracelets are allowed. If it becomes a distraction in class, it will be confiscated.
- Religious medals or symbols, simple chains around the neck and wristwatches are the only jewelry allowed. NO bracelets (religious or otherwise).
- No makeup may be worn in grades K through 5. Grades 6 through 8 may wear a very light amount of makeup.
- Girls may wear light pink, clear or white tip nail polish only. No fake fingernails are allowed.
- Girls will receive one warning before the polish is removed in the office.
- No body art or glitter lotions (or anything similar).
Jets Spirit Day (formerly known as NU Days)
- Jets Spirit days are an earned privilege and will be taken away should you choose NOT to adhere to these guidelines.
- Students may wear their choice of an appropriate shirt with the following:
- Uniform bottoms
- Jeans/ Dress Pants
- Skirt no shorter than 3 inches above the knee
- OR dresses no shorter than 3 inches above the knee
- St. John’s event t-shirt are encouraged but not required (Walking Rosary, Student Council, Jets Club, etc.) with school bottoms or denim jeans.
- Shirts must have sleeves that cover the shoulders and may not have inappropriate writing or images (at the discretion of the administration). If you are unsure, choose something else.
- Denim shorts or capris may be worn from August through October 31st and April 1st through May for grades K through 5, and year-round for Junior High.
- Not Allowed at any time:
- Any type of elastic waist legging/jegging (unless worn under skirt/dress) or sweatpants
- Hooded sweatshirts (except when used outdoors as a jacket)